Prodigal Sons

Luke 15:11-32 English Standard Version (ESV) The Parable of the Prodigal Son I have always know about the scripture but never thought it would have any merit or application in my life. The day came when it did. I was at Calvary Baptist Church in Salt Lake City, Utah. I always attend church because I enjoy being around God's people and praising God with others. Well, when the doors of the church was opened a young man came forth. He was coming forth to join church and be baptized. His Grandmother was there and she was so overcome with emotion it just broke my heart and my spirit soared! I know that the angels rejoice when one lost sheep is found and all of heaven was in celebration that day. I could feel it in my spirit and I was overwhelmed! I went to the Grandmother and we just wept and praised God together for His mercies and His grace. All the while, I wondered about my own family and my own sons... The Prodigal son's story is very relevant even today:
11 And he said, “There was a man who had two sons. 12 And the younger of them said to his father, ‘Father, give me the share of property that is coming to me.’ And he divided his property between them. 13 Not many days later, the younger son gathered all he had and took a journey into a far country, and there he squandered his property in reckless living. 14 And when he had spent everything, a severe famine arose in that country, and he began to be in need. 15 So he went and hired himself out to[a] one of the citizens of that country, who sent him into his fields to feed pigs. 16 And he was longing to be fed with the pods that the pigs ate, and no one gave him anything.
The younger son of the two sons was the one who wanted what was coming to him and he wanted to leave his family. His first order of business was to live recklessly; sex, drugs and rock & roll. He squandered everything. He could not stop on his own volition but continued to be reckless until he had nothing left then he began to be in need; homeless, poverty-stricken - yet he did not call on his father or return to his family. A significant point is he went and hired himself out to one of the citizens; he actually went and got a job, not a glamorous or high paying position but a lowly one. This is significant as so many prodigals go out and use drugs, have sex, run the streets yet never pursue a job and I believe this is key. If they go and get a job, are willing to take ANY job then reconciliation is just a matter of time. However, if they are of the persuasion that they REFUSE to work the spiral continues downward into Sheol. Another point is; he must find the job ON HIS OWN. The prodigal son himself, must have "the heart" to seek a job on his own just as he sought his share of his inheritance on his own. If he can make this step then....
17 “But when he came to himself, he said, ‘How many of my father's hired servants have more than enough bread, but I perish here with hunger! 18 I will arise and go to my father, and I will say to him, “Father, I have sinned against heaven and before you. 19 I am no longer worthy to be called your son. Treat me as one of your hired servants.”’ 20 And he arose and came to his father. But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and felt compassion, and ran and embraced him and kissed him. 21 And the son said to him, ‘Father, I have sinned against heaven and before you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son.’[b] 22 But the father said to his servants,[c] ‘Bring quickly the best robe, and put it on him, and put a ring on his hand, and shoes on his feet. 23 And bring the fattened calf and kill it, and let us eat and celebrate. 24 For this my son was dead, and is alive again; he was lost, and is found.’ And they began to celebrate.
After taking a job, the younger son has a chance to "think through" his situation with great care. In the environment of earning a livelihood without the self indulgence of liquor, drugs, sex and other "party" conduct he comes to a conclusion...he needs to go back home. The prodigal son makes to CHOICE of his own free will to not only go home but to do so humbly and apologize to his Father sincerely, knowing that his place as "son" no longer exists. HE recognizes that he has done wrong and although he must pay, he WANTS to pay at home with his family instead of amongst "the pigs". What is especially wonderful to me is the point that not only did the son say this to himself but he followed through with action! His mind was CLEARLY made up and he was going to correct what was incorrect in his past, immature conduct! This younger son ADMITTED his error to himself and before his FATHER. He did not behave as if nothing had transpired and come back entitled to his station as "Son" - He WANTED to be home in his Father's house as an employee/servant because he knew he was no longer worthy to be considered a "SON". What humility, quality and wisdom this shows in the character of this younger son! His attitude towards his father is AMAZING! He humbled himself before his father. He acknowledged what he had done wrong. He presented himself for the consequences at his father's hands; to be his servant and no longer his "Son". While this bit of the story is wonderful and gives hope to those of us who have prodigal sons...it is not the whole story...
25 “Now his older son was in the field, and as he came and drew near to the house, he heard music and dancing. 26 And he called one of the servants and asked what these things meant. 27 And he said to him, ‘Your brother has come, and your father has killed the fattened calf, because he has received him back safe and sound.’ 28 But he was angry and refused to go in. His father came out and entreated him, 29 but he answered his father, ‘Look, these many years I have served you, and I never disobeyed your command, yet you never gave me a young goat, that I might celebrate with my friends. 30 But when this son of yours came, who has devoured your property with prostitutes, you killed the fattened calf for him!’ 31 And he said to him, ‘Son, you are always with me, and all that is mine is yours. 32 It was fitting to celebrate and be glad, for this your brother was dead, and is alive; he was lost, and is found.’”
Mon Dieu!!! The struggles of parents seems NEVER ENDING!!! The prodigal son caused so much worry for this father...he was always looking and hoping for this son to come back home. Praise to God, the prodigal did return home, probably with HIV (modern day issue; you KNOW there were other issues!) yet he returned...which gladdened the father's heart and now misery upon miseries the oldest son does not have a loving heart towards the his little brother. Nor does he care that his father has been in anguish and can now have a measure of peace.... Finally What can I say? I understand why the Apostle Paul admonished people to not marry and become parents. Yet, it is destiny for many of us. Sometimes our prodigals do not return home. They lack the inner fortitude to seek employment, or the ability to "come to himself" and so remain lost to their parents forever and do end up in Sheol. Free will, Free will, Free will... sometimes God hardens the hearts of our children for His Glory. "Anyone who loves their father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves their son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me." (Matthew 10:37) So, to all parents: Do Not Worry 33"But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. 34"So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." (Matthew 6:33) Our children, our lives, our death, our livelihood - Everything is in God's hands. As a mother, labor and delivery taught me that. PRAISE THE LORD On days when life is great Praise the Lord! When life falls apart Praise the Lord! When your family is fine Praise the Lord! When your enemies are kind Praise the Lord! When your world crashes down Praise the Lord! When no one is around Praise the Lord! Praise the Lord in EVERYTHING and through fervent prayer let HIM know the desires of your heart with humility, and with faith knowing that HE loves you and holds life, death and eternity in HIS hands! Praise the LORD!
Footnotes: Luke 15:15 Greek joined himself to Luke 15:21 Some manuscripts add treat me as one of your hired servants Luke 15:22 Greek bondservants

Comments

Popular Posts